For awhile now, Waterkloof restaurant, just outside Somerset West on the way to Sir Lowry’s village, has been a big favorite of mine.  Between the sweeping views of False bay, the stunning cutting edge deco, the mind-blowingly delicious wine, the decadent and moreish food and the flawless service and attention to detail, Waterkloof is currently my #1 Gourmet destination. To me, a meal is an experience that one should walk away delighted from, dying to tell everyone she knows about it and promising “I’ll take you there’ to all she comes in contact with. We become advocates to our experience. That, to me, is Waterkloof.

So it was hardly a  tough decision when it came to organizing my mothers birthday lunch. It was decided that the family would travel out to spend an afternoon of eating (lots!) and drinking (even more!) out at Waterkloof.
The Birthday girl!
                                               
Firstly, I must tell you about their EXCEPTIONAL wines.  They have 5 different ranges, ‘Waterkloof ‘the flagship, followed by the ‘Circle of   life’ red and white and then ‘Circumstance’, ‘Peacock Ridge’ and ‘False bay’.
The Waterkloof and Circumstance wines are my favorite mainly because I really enjoy the strong mineral character due to the vineyards’ exposed position on the upper slopes of the estate.
Usually a Sauvignon Blanc Martyr and defender, I have to say that my favorite is actually the Viogner.  It was fermented by naturally-occurring yeast for 12 months in steel tank and then matured for a further 2 months in barrel, after which it was racked. The finished product has a delicious ‘peach iced teaness’ about it and the wood comes through just enough to taste it.

Having struggled with the wine list, the five of us decided on the Circumstance Chardonnay, the Circumstance Viogner and the Circumstance Cape Coral Mourvedre. That was just to kick off the afternoon. Don’t worry! We took full advantage of the complementary still and sparkling water from the farms own natural spring.
Cape Coral Mourvedre

Food was another point of contention; if I had my way I would eat everything on the menu. The next best was to emotionally manipulate my family members to order all the dishes I wanted to try- no one was allowed to order the same thing and no one was allowed to judge the fact that I had three starters instead of a starter and a main. Oh, and they weren’t allowed to order any of the starters that I had ordered. There are strict rules when dining out with me!
I started with the Camembert crème brulée served with curried walnut and a granny smith and celery sorbet. I have had this dish before and know of its ability to transport the diner to new levels of euphoria. Another rule when dining out with me, don’t talk to me for the first few bites- I am ‘having a moment’ with my food.
Crab and coriander raviolini

My second starter was the Crab and coriander raviolini, with concentrated bella tomatoes, guacamole and pickled root vegetables. This dish was deliciously fresh without having any rich or heavy sauces. It also paired so well with the Cape Coral Mourvedre
After this things got a bit complicated with all the passing around of plates and tasting everyone elses food but here are some of the highlights:
Duck breast and Puy lentils

Farmed Cob with Chestnut Gnocchi

We ended off the perfect afternoon with a cheese board and a nice glass of red. The vanilla and black cherry notes of the Circumstance Syrah worked so well with the cheese, especially the 18 month mature cheese.

I highly recommend an afternoon out at Waterkloof- I would recommend having a nice leisurely tasting before your meal in the tasting lounge so that you can bring your A game when facing the wine list later on!