Tuesday 20 March 2012

Junipa‘s in Joburg……WOW.
It took me a while and a whole lot of procrastination before I finally found some time in Joburg to visit this little gem in the newly finished Hobart Grove. With daily homemade artisan breads and freshly prepared meals , this traditional little eatery is  firm favorite of the locals. The smell as you walk in is just heavenly! Its a unique blend of roasted coffee, the yeasty smell of bread rising in the oven and the overall aroma of general home comforts!

The deco is amazing! Between the stylish chairs upholstered in hessian coffee sacks, and the chalkboards on the wall, I felt as though I had just walked into a farmhouse kitchen (with a very chic twist of course!)

Homestyle deco!
                                                      
My foodie partner for the evening: my good friend Robyn. This little culinary connoisseur definitely knows how to judge a meal-: often you can find her in my own kitchen peeping in my pots and pans and always really to crit my dishes, more often than not with an oversized glass of wine in one hand and the bottle ready to top me up in the other. I think every kitchen needs a Robyn! However on this particular occasion, as hard as it was, we decided to settle for a large bottle of Sparkling water based on our track record with the Joburg metro police!

As I had had a large lunch at a restaurant that I will avoid naming and shaming in this post, I settled for a light meal. I had heard that I hadn’t lived until I had tried their signature dish-Venetian Duck Liver & Porcini Pâté,Served with fresh bread & beetroot chutney. The different textures and sweet and savory elements made this dish beyond a meal, it was without a doubt a culinary experience. I have heard that the local crowd arrive early in the morning for take aways of this pate to nibble though out the day with a loaf of Junipas finest! I think they have the right idea!

Venetian Duck Liver & Porcini Pâté,Served with fresh bread & beetroot chutney.

 Venetian Duck Liver & Porcini Pâté,Served with fresh bread & beetroot chutney.
As Robyn was well aware of the rules when eating out with me, she didn’t even try to order the same dish- much to her disappointment. Instead she ordered the Punjabi spiced monkfish tail with shoestring fries and aoli…. and it was delish! The fish had the most intriguing batter, lightly spiced and crispy. The fish itself fell apart in your mouth before you even had a chance to chew! The lemon and garlic elements of the Aoli was the perfect finish to the dish.


                                 Punjabi spiced Monkfish tail with Shoestring Fries and Aoli


Junipa’s serves breakfast, lunch and supper seven days a week. It boasts a wood-fired pizza oven, a coffee roastery using raw coffee beans, and the famous Junipa’s baker. Well worth a visit!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment