Saturday 17 March 2012

I am sure we will have many a conversation about the Neighbourgoods Market at Biscuit Mill in Woodstock. The place just buzzes on a Saturday morning- be prepared to push! Everyone in Cape Town heads down there for everything from cheese to chocolate and bread to baklava! With so much to see and taste, don’t worry about breakfast (or lunch!) if you are heading out there. I have to be honest I have stayed away from the Biscuit Mill over the festive season of December and January simply because I didn’t want to be squashed to death with all the locals AND tourists, but my first visit of 2011 was a wonderful experience. 
A great deal had changed and I saw a few new stalls, especially out at the back food court where this time last year you were bound to find ‘Lonesome Dave’ on his mouth organ!
My First treat of the day (at an unorthodox 10:00am) was a delicious glass of Trizanne’s signature Sauvignon Blanc/Semillion which was with out a doubt the perfect accompaniment to my stroll around the food stalls. Visit her website here.
 
Following which we headed out the back to see what we could possibly buy (besides Luke Dale-Roberts’ amazing looking poached eggs and hollandaise) that would pass for breakfast. This is when I came across  Andrew Kai and his mate making possibly the biggest Paella I have ever seen! Do yourself a favour. Pop in and have a taste and next time you are considering a lamb on the spit for a function, why not reconsider and get Andrew over with his giant Paella dish!  You will not be disappointed!

Besides the amazing nougat, cheese and breads I bought, I must mention the delicious smoked mozzarella “Affumicata’. Found just at the entrance to the back food court, it really is worth a visit!Many more Biscuit Mill adventures to follow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment