Thursday 31 May 2012


I absolutely love going to the Old Biscuit mill (during the week, when the crowds are at bay!) There are some lovely craft and curio shops, as well as galleries, and the Espresso Lab Microroasters! Oded’s Kitchen selling gourmet preserves, pickles and deli specialties. The Old Biscuit Mill is also home to Luke Dale Robert's Test Kitchen and The Pot Luck Club.

I have just discovered my NEW favourite reason for visiting the Old Biscuit Mill.... Burrata!

As soon as you walk through the door you feel at home. Owner, Neil Grant (previously the sommelier from Rust and Vrede in the days of David Higgs) comes right over to the table to make sure you are comfortable, and to offer his expertise on the wine (trust me, he is a genius and his suggestions are always delicious and spot on!)


The next thing you will notice whilst sipping the above mentioned wine, is the stylish décor, incorporating lots of beautiful wood, walls with exposed brick and some amazingly crafted 'wine bottle' light fittings. The centerpiece of the restaurant is a special state-of-the-art red hand meat slicer and the kitchen is open plan so if you feel the need you can peek in to see what Chef Annemarie Steenkamp is whipping up!

We started the afternoon with a bottle of Oldenberg Chardonnay from Stellenbosch. Whilst creamy and delicious, it was not too heavily wooded and paired perfectly with my first starter, the puglia burrata, olive oil, oryx desert salt served with crostini. The Burrata was so buttery and oozy and the mild yet creamy flavour was enhanced by the oryx desert salt.

Half way through this heavenly experience, Neil arrived with a decanted bottle of Delaire Chenin Blanc from the Swartland region. My dining companions (both die hard chardonnay drinkers) were speechless to discover they were in fact drinking a Chenin Blanc, and better yet, they were enjoying it.

Next course was the beef carpaccio with shaved klein rivier grana padano, friend capers and parsley dressing. The beef literally melted in my mouth! The richness of the grana padano was the perfect balance to the meat. I didn't even glance at the salt seller. In fact, nothing I ate during the entire meal needed salting. (This coming from the girl nicknamed 'The Sodium Queen" as I tend to love my salt...in a very Craig Cormack kind of way)

Next we were onto a bottle of Thelema Merlot and it was time for the main course. I had a tender and tasty chicken polpette with cannellini beans and tomato ragu. Whilst I don't often drink red wine with chicken, I was so entranced by this sort after and 'very hard to find' Merlot that I didn't even stop to think about what I was doing. You would have had to prise that glass from my cold, dead hands to get it away from me. It was by far one of the smoothest, fruit forward Merlot I have had in a long time and I am quite sure I managed to drink at least half the bottle whilst my dining companions chatted business.
 
After a couple more glasses 'for the road' we were on our way, having just had a very memorable afternoon. Thanks so much Neil! We'll definitely see you soon.

Open Tuesday to Friday 12 noon-10pm (only pizza between 3.00pm-6.30pm)
Saturday 10.00am 3pm and 6:30pm-10pm.
Closed Sunday & Monday

Tagged: ,

2 comments:

  1. Mmm... what are the meal prices like? And how is the pizza?? ;) I'm keen to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So reasonable. You'd love it. We can go one night after work. You just need to book in advance :)

    ReplyDelete